• Recent Posts

  • Martindale Hubbell AV Rating

    The Greater Williamsburg area is an exciting place to live and work, especially because of the large number of entrepreneurs who have built businesses from the ground up. These entrepreneurs have taken their passion and made it their profession. Many of us want to take that step. Before you begin, you need to think of the type of business entity you want to form. Our attorneys have extensive business experience, from small one-person companies to publicly traded major corporations. Our attorneys are among the leaders in Virginia in the representation of Common Interest Communities. These communities are generally referred to as "homeowners associations," or "HOAs," and "condominium associations." In the greater Williamsburg area alone, we provide legal assistance to nearly 100 associations. Our attorneys have successfully prosecuted and defended a wide array of civil disputes involving community association covenant enforcement, commercial transactions, construction disputes, contracts, real estate matters, boundary line and easement disputes, employment matters, antitrust litigation, copyright violations, administrative proceedings, and estate issues. Real Estate law encompasses a wide variety of matters, and our attorneys have vast experience to assist you. Whether you need assistance with a commercial or residential closing, or you have questions relating to residential or commercial leasing, we provide experienced advice and counsel to our clients. Zoning law can be a complicated maze of statutes and ordinances. We have ample experience in successful applications for rezoning, variance, and special use permit requests. Finally, commercial and residential construction provide special challenges with respect to financing issues and the construction process. We serve as counsel to various financial institutions.

What can an HOA Board do if members question whether the President acted properly?

Susan Tarley answered a question that was published in the March/April 2013 issue of the Common Ground, the Community Association Institute’s Magazine for Community Association Leaders. Here is the question and answer.


Our bylaws state that no reimbursement shall be given for services rendered by any board member unless voted and agreed on amongst the board members. I am a board member, and our association president has submitted bills totaling more than $600 to our management company without board approval and has been paid. A review of the past years minutes indicate no such vote was taken. We feel the president has his own monetary agenda and does not care about our community. I understand we can file a petition with 67% of the unit owners signing to have him removed, but we just want our money. What can we do?

Williamsburg Virginia HOA Lawyers

Board of Directors


Bylaws we see in Virginia permit board members to be reimbursed only for actual costs or expenses on board approval. You indicated the president is being reimbursed for services rendered. Review your bylaws to determine whether the president can be reimbursed for services and whether there are any limitations on such reimbursement other than board approval.

The board also should establish a policy so that all future requests for reimbursement are handled in the same manner. The policy should establish a process to permit the timely review and decision by the board. The manager should be given firm direction that board approval is required.

The other option you mention is removal of the Board President. You did not indicate whether the association is incorporated. If it is, certain provisions of the Virginia Nonstock Corporation Act may be applicable and should be read in conjunction with the bylaws. Removal is usually reserved for egregious behavior, but you have not mentioned any other specific problems with the president. Therefore it may be premature to pursue this option. There are expenses in doing so and board member removal can become very divisive for community.

An additional option is removing the board member from the office of president. The process to remove an officer is likely reserved to the board. Although this action is still somewhat divisive and should be used only in limited situations, the expense in removing an officer is less than removal of a board member.

Following the initial course of action by asking that the money be returned, establishing a policy for reimbursement, and placing the issue on the board’s meeting agenda are more efficient ways to address the problem. I also would suggest that the board seek education opportunities provided by CAI or by your HOA attorney to include discussion of fiduciary duty, board member responsibilities, the business judgment rule, and conflicts of interest.

Tarley Robinson, PLC, Attorneys and Counsellors at Law

Williamsburg, Virginia

Susan Tarley

Susan Tarley

Susan chairs the firm's common interest community (HOAs and Condos) practice area. She was admitted into the College of Community Association Attorneys (“CCAL”). Susan is one of fewer than 150 attorneys nationwide to be admitted to CCAL, for distinguishing herself through contributions to the evolution or practice of community association law.

More Posts - Website

Follow Me:

Filed under: General Interest by Susan Tarley

Comments are closed.

« | »
  • Phone Numbers

    (757) 229-4281- Office

    (757) 229-7439 - Fax
  • Address

    4801 Courthouse Street Suite 122 Williamsburg, Virginia 23188
Web Development by OneWaveMedia.Com